If you need to password protect documents on your computer, the easiest way is with 7-zip.
AES-256 is the same encryption the military use for documents, so its very secure, assuming your password is long and secure.
- Ensure you have 7-Zip installed. (we put this on all the computers we set up for customers)
- Select the documents and folders you want to encrypt. Right click > 7-Zip > Add to Archive
- Type in the password you want in the box below. 14+ characters is recommended (passphrase). This password cannot be recovered if lost.
- Delete original documents. If sensitive, it's recommended you shred them with Webroot or something similar. Normal Deleting documents will not remove them from your hard drive.
- This is serious. Make sure your 7Zip was successful before continuing.